Every home on Waiheke has a septic tank; it is a ‘living’ system and is sensitive to what you put in it. Whatever you wash into a drain will end up in the septic tank so:
- Don’t flush anything down the toilet except toilet paper and human waste
- Don’t put excessive amounts of waste water through the system – if you have an approved grey water system you can reuse grey water etc for gardening purposes
- Avoid tipping grease, oil, coffee grounds etc down the plughole.
- Make sure household cleaners and detergents can be safely used in septic tanks. Avoid using bleach as this is particularly harmful to septic systems. We recommend Eco Store products available online or at your local supermarket.
- If you're septic is smelly, we also sell NatureFarm EM which is a eco-friendly way of dealing with the smells and helping to get your septic back to a healthy state.